What is the AACC Externship Program?
The program is a one- or two-week unpaid internship during spring break (an ‘externship’) that brings undergraduate students into the workplaces of Yale alumni across the country. Externships will take place either on the first week, the second week, or on both weeks of Yale’s spring break.
- November 27th, 2023 - Student application goes live.
- Week of November 27th, 2023 - All externship locations finalized and confirmation form closes.
- December 18th, 2023 - Student application deadline at 3pm. Following this deadline, we will compile all the applications for your specific externship and send them to you for the first review. You will be able to select your top candidates, which you can then send to us for final matches.
- December 2023 - Early January, 2024 - Alumni extern sponsors review applications
- Early January, 2023 - Final matching and decisions released. virtual introductions between sponsors and students
- Late January/Early February, 2024 - Financial aid application for students due.
- January-February, 2024 - Externs and sponsors will communicate externship details
- Mid-February, 2024 - Pre-Externship Orientation
- March 2024 - Final planning/communication and externship goes live.
Alumni Sponsor Responsibilities
1. The sponsor will accommodate the student at their jobsite virtually or in-person for the agreed upon one- or two-week period – the sponsor must be able to have check-in meetings and regular communication with the student regularly throughout the duration of the externship.
2. Depending on the nature of the work, the sponsor will provide specific projects or tasks and schedule meetings for the student or will allow the student to shadow them (see table on next page for examples).
3. Before the externship, the sponsor and student should discuss the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide and what can be reasonably be accomplished during that time period.
4. For in-person and hybrid externships, the sponsor has the responsibility of ensuring proper health and safety guidelines are met in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Student Extern Responsibilities
1. The sponsor and student should communicate before the externship to determine the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide, and what can reasonably be accomplished during the agreed upon duration of the externship.
2. The student is expected to be fully present at work every day, maintain timely communication with the sponsor as well as others they encounter and conduct themselves in a professional manner.
3. After the externship, students are expected to complete a questionnaire giving feedback regarding their externship.
4. If you are selected for an externship and agree to participate, but fail to complete your externship, you will be prohibited from applying to the AACC Spring Break Externship Program in the future.
5. For in-person and hybrid externships, the student has the responsibility to closely observe the health and safety protocols of the sponsor’s workplace. This applies to all hours of the day during the externship program to ensure the safety of the alumni and other staff members the student may be working with.
Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. Please do not email alumni directly during the application process. We’d be happy to address any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. We look forward to working with you!
AACC Alumni Engagement Team
Externship opportunities: Externship Descriptions
Application: 2024 Spring Break Externship