What is the AACC Externship Program?
The program is a one-week unpaid internship during spring break (an ‘externship’) that brings undergraduate students into the workplaces of Yale alumni across the country. Externships will take place during the first or second week (March 9 - 13 / March 16 - 20, 2020) of spring break. The program is meant to give students the opportunity to gain exposure to a professional field of interest and to help them explore the multitude of career paths available to them. By working with or shadowing the alumni sponsor, the student will be able to gain hands-on experience. Specific duties during the week are left to the alumni sponsor to determine. For example, the alumni sponsor might have the student do a mini-project during the week, invite them to meetings, or allow them to help/shadow different people in the organization. Alumni sponsors can decide how many interns they would like to take for their externships.
How can I get an externship?
1. Check out all of the opportunities.
Review all of the externship opportunities posted on this page. Note that the AACC does NOT provide housing, so you want to consider that when choosing which externships you would like to pursue. Most students apply to externships that are close to their hometowns.
2. Choose the externship(s) you want.
You can rank up to 3 externships you would like to apply to. Sponsors will not be able to view these rankings.
3. Fill out a short and sweet application and send it to us along with your resume.
Apply to the externship(s) you want by filling out this short form and by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 25th, 2019 at 11:59pm EST. Complete application responses and resumes submitted will be forwarded to alumni sponsors, who will choose the externs.
Note: A limited amount of transportation funding is available–an application and further details will be provided to applicants following completion of the selection process.
* Note that these are tentative dates. We will email you if there are any major changes.
November 1st, 2019 - Alumni extern sponsorships finalized
November 14th, 2019 - Externship Information Session and applications opened
November 25th, 2019 - Externship applications due
December 2019 - Alumni extern sponsors review applications and select applicants
By early January 2020 - Applicants are notified of externship decisions
January 18th, 2020 - AACC externship funding applications due (if applicable)
January 23rd, 2020 - Externship applicants are notified of AACC funding decision
January and February, 2020 - Externs and sponsors will communicate externship details
Mid-Februrary, 2020 - Externship Orientation
March 9-13 / 16-20, 2020 - Sping Break Externship
1. The sponsor will accommodate the student at his/her workplace for the week – the sponsor must be able to personally meet with the student regularly throughout the week.
2. Depending on the nature of the work, the sponsor will provide specific projects or tasks and schedule meetings for the student or will allow the student to shadow him/her (see table on next page for examples).
3. Before the externship, the sponsor and student should discuss the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide and what can be reasonably be accomplished during that time period.
Student Extern Responsibilities
1. Unless otherwise noted, students will be responsible for their own housing during the week and transportation to and from work.
2. The sponsor and student should communicate before the externship to determine the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide, and what can reasonably be accomplished during the time period.
3. Students are expected to go to work everyday and behave in a professional manner.
4. After the externship, students are expected to complete a questionnaire giving feedback regarding their externship.
5. If you are selected for an externship and agree to participate, but fail to complete your externship, you will be prohibited from applying to the AACC Spring Break Externship Program in the future.
Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.Please do not email alumni directly during the application process. We’d be happy to address any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. We look forward to working with you!
AACC Alumni Engagement Team
Externship opportunities: https://aacc.yalecollege.yale.edu/externship-program/externship-descriptions