What is the AACC Externship Program?
The program is a one-week unpaid internship during spring break (an ‘externship’) that brings undergraduate students into the workplaces of Yale alumni across the country. In order to ensure the safety of all students participating in this program during the ongoing viral and racial pandemics, most externships will be hosted virtually this upcoming year. Externships will take place either on the first week, the second week, or on both weeks of spring break.
How can I get an externship?
1. Check out all of the opportunities.
Review all of the externship opportunities posted on this page (coming soon!). Note that the AACC does NOT provide housing, so you want to consider that when choosing which externships you would like to pursue. Most students apply to externships that are close to their hometowns.
2. Choose the externship(s) you want.
You can rank up to 3 externships you would like to apply to. Sponsors will not be able to view these rankings.
3. Fill out a short and sweet application and send it to us along with your resume.
Apply to the externship(s) you want by filling out this short form (coming soon!) and by sending your resume to email@example.com by November 28th, 2020 at 11:59pm EST. Complete application responses and resumes submitted will be forwarded to alumni sponsors, who will choose the externs.
Note: A limited amount of transportation funding is available–an application and further details will be provided to applicants following completion of the selection process.
* Note that these are tentative dates. We will email you if there are any major changes.
November 1st, 2020 - Alumni extern sponsorships finalized
November 14th, 2020 - Externship Information Session and applications opened
November 28th, 2020 - Externship applications due
December, 2020 - Alumni extern sponsors review applications and select applicants
By early January, 2021 - Applicants are notified of externship decisions
January 17th, 2021 - AACC externship funding applications due (if applicable)
January 23rd, 2021 - Externship applicants are notified of AACC funding decision
January and February, 2021 - Externs and sponsors will communicate externship details
Mid-Februrary, 2021 - Externship Orientation
Mid-March, 2021 - Sping Break Externship
1. The sponsor will accommodate the student at their jobsite virtually for the one or two week period – the sponsor must be able to have one on one virtual meetings with the student regularly throughout the week.
2. Depending on the nature of the work, the sponsor will provide specific projects or tasks and schedule meetings for the student or will allow the student to shadow them (see table on next page for examples).
3. Before the externship, the sponsor and student should discuss the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide and what can be reasonably be accomplished during that time period.
4. In the event that the externship is in-person, alumni will have the responsibility of ensuring proper health and safety guidelines are met (6 feet social distancing, mask wearing for everyone the student interacts with, and approving the student’s housing situation).
Student Extern Responsibilities
1. The sponsor and student should communicate before the externship to determine the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide, and what can reasonably be accomplished during the time period.
2. Students are expected to go to work every day and behave in a professional manner.
3. After the externship, students are expected to complete a questionnaire giving feedback regarding their externship.
4. If you are selected for an externship and agree to participate, but fail to complete your externship, you will be prohibited from applying to the AACC Spring Break Externship Program in the future.
5. In the event that the externship a student is placed in takes place in-person, they have the responsibility to follow proper health and safety guidelines (6 feet social distancing, wearing a mask). This applies to all hours of the day during the externship program to ensure the safety of the alumni and other staff members the student may be working with.
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Please do not email alumni directly during the application process. We’d be happy to address any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. We look forward to working with you!
AACC Alumni Engagement Team
Angelreana Choi MY’23, email@example.com
Saket Malhotra MY’23, firstname.lastname@example.org
Externship opportunities: View last year’s opportunities Externship Descriptions.