What is the AACC Externship Program?
The program is a one- or two-week unpaid internship during spring break (an ‘externship’) that brings undergraduate students into the workplaces of Yale alumni across the country. Externships will take place either on the first week, the second week, or on both weeks of Yale’s spring break.
How can I get an externship?
1. Check out all of the opportunities.
Review all of the externship opportunities posted on this page. Note that the AACC does NOT provide housing, so you want to consider that when choosing which externships you would like to pursue. Most students apply to externships that are close to their hometowns or where they know someone who can provide them short-term housing.
2. Choose the externship(s) you want.
You can rank up to 3 externships you would like to apply to. Sponsors will not be able to view these rankings but it will be used by the AACC to make the match that most closely aligns with the student and alumni hosts’ needs.
3. Fill out a short and sweet application and send it to us along with your resume.
Apply to the externship(s) you want by filling out and submitting the application form by the deadline. Complete application responses will be forwarded to alumni sponsors, who will choose the externs.
Note: A limited amount of transportation funding is available–an application and further details will be provided to applicants following completion of the selection process.
* Note that these are tentative dates. We will email you if there are any major changes.
November 4th, 2022 - Alumni extern sponsorships finalized
November 16th, 2022 - Externship information session for interested applicants
November 18th, 2022 - Externship application opens
December 5th, 2022 - Externship applications due at 11:59pm ET
December, 2022 - Alumni extern sponsors review applications and select applicants
By early January, 2023 - Applicants are notified of externship decisions
January 23rd, 2023 - AACC externship funding applications due (if applicable)
January 30th, 2023 - Externship applicants are notified of AACC funding decision
January-February, 2023 - Externs and sponsors will communicate externship details
Mid-Februrary, 2023 - Pre-Externship Orientation
Mid-March, 2023 - Sping Break Externship
Alumni Sponsor Responsibilities
1. The sponsor will accommodate the student at their jobsite virtually or in-person for the agreed upon one- or two-week period – the sponsor must be able to have check-in meetings and regular communication with the student regularly throughout the duration of the externship.
2. Depending on the nature of the work, the sponsor will provide specific projects or tasks and schedule meetings for the student or will allow the student to shadow them (see table on next page for examples).
3. Before the externship, the sponsor and student should discuss the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide and what can be reasonably be accomplished during that time period.
4. For in-person and hybrid externships, the sponsor has the responsibility of ensuring proper health and safety guidelines are met in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Student Extern Responsibilities
1. The sponsor and student should communicate before the externship to determine the student’s particular goals, what the sponsor can provide, and what can reasonably be accomplished during the agreed upon duration of the externship.
2. The student is expected to be fully present at work every day, maintain timely communication with the sponsor as well as others they encounter and conduct themselves in a professional manner.
3. After the externship, students are expected to complete a questionnaire giving feedback regarding their externship.
4. If you are selected for an externship and agree to participate, but fail to complete your externship, you will be prohibited from applying to the AACC Spring Break Externship Program in the future.
5. For in-person and hybrid externships, the student has the responsibility to closely observe the health and safety protocols of the sponsor’s workplace. This applies to all hours of the day during the externship program to ensure the safety of the alumni and other staff members the student may be working with.
Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.Please do not email alumni directly during the application process. We’d be happy to address any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. We look forward to working with you!
AACC Alumni Engagement Team
Kenny Li MY ‘25
Kaashif Ahmed BF ‘25
Kevin Quach YC ‘22, MPH ‘23
Externship opportunities: Externship Descriptions
Application: 2023 Spring Break Externship